Re: [LUG] One ISP or more?

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Some questions that I have been asked recently made me wonder, is my
> set-up unusual?
>
> I use one ISP for broadband only.
>
> I use a different one for email
>
> and another one for my website. I use this one for email as well so
> that if one fails I can use the other one.
>
> Of course, each ISP does provide broadband, email and provision for my
> own website, so I could use just one for everything. However I feel
> that it makes it easier for changes. (For example I could move to a
> different broadband provider without causing any changes to my email
> address or my website.)
>
> I won't go into how all this happened, but it is the position I am in
> now. I am just wondering if this is unusual or if many lug members are
> set up in a similar way. Just curious.
>
> Neil Winchurst

You are not alone in this (as you will have seen by the other posts). I
recently moved someone away from a config like this as two of the three
ISPs were being a real PITA about supporting the setup when he was not
linked to their network.

Talktalk for connection
Freeserve for email
BT for email

every three months or so he would have to go on to
freeserver/wannadoo/whoever s site and re-confirm his account to be
live, this usually resulted in his internet link being screwed up for a
period of time (till I go out there and fix it). Finally he was
convinced that the better way of doing things is to get an email address
that's not hosted with an ISP (in the connectivity sense) and run all of
his email out of there...

Sinse doing this, I have not had a single call from him... I know that
the level of spam has dropped 100% (he's been careful as to who he gives
his email address to) and he has had no issues..

I also set him up with Firefox and Thunderbird, next visit I will be
installing OOo, and it's all working nice.

The reason I know he has not had any issues with his new email accounts
(and domain as a whole) is that I am hosting it on my servers.

One thing I have found to be a powerful tool in the past is a catchall
mail box, some people say that these are very very bad but in some cases
they are handy, let me explain why.

You shop online with Amazon, you give the email address
"amazon@xxxxxxxxxxxx" you shop with ebay giving "ebay@xxxxxxxxxxxx" both
lots of mail go to the same email account.. however.. when your mailbox
starts to get spammed you can easily see who gave your email address out
and send them a bill for wasting your time. This does mean of course
that you have to be strict with doing this, but if you're setting up
afresh it's simple enough.

On the downside, someone could guess "blahblahblah@xxxxxxxxxxxx" and the
email get through.. you can always create mail filters for that in your MUA.

HTH

Neil