Re: [LUG] PDF vs DocBook vs LaTeX vs Word

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 10:13, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:46:31 +0100
>
> James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Tom Potts wrote:
> > > I agree - for Paper Documents - its lousy on a screen*.
>
> Depends how the PDF is created. It is certainly possible to create PDF
> files that are not based on paper sizes. Typically, I produce those
> from presentation-type software so there is a gap in the formatting
> tools, not the format.
>
> I'd like to be able to create screen-shape PDFs from DocBook but right
> now creating paper-shape PDFs from DocBook is hard enough when using
> the formatting tools rather than OOo.
DONT! My screen is not your screen!
Unless your just trying to print the screen?

> Probably the best viewer for DocBook is actually yelp. I need to find
> the XSL that they use at runtime so that I can create yelp HTML files
> that others can view outside yelp itself.
>
> > > However if, as someone else said, you want your paragraph in a certain
> > > font then you have to embed all the fonts in your document - that ends
> > > up with a severely bloated document.
>
> Or you could use LaTeX and get a severely bloated package installation
> but a smaller (less portable) file. ;-)
I nearly used LateX for formulae once until I discovered it was 1000 times
faster to knock up a jpg (now it would be a png) of the formula.

> > My recollection of a "seminar" I attended many many years ago, certainly
> > before most people had heard of PDF and probably before a lot of people
> > had heard of HTML, was that the entire point of PDF was that it should
> > render exactly the same way as the originator intended irrespective of
> > the medium.
>
> If memory serves, LaTeX predates PDF, HTML and RTF.
>
> > That's why it's necessary to embed fonts etc.  It's as much
> > concerned with presentation as content (in fact, I think I'd probably
> > argue that it's *more* concerned with presentation than content).
>
> Indeed - with a predisposition for US-letter or A4.
>
> > A corollary of this is that there are a whole range of display devices
> > which are wholly unsuited to displaying PDF because they just don't
> > provide the necessary functionality.
>
> They would be fine if the PDF wasn't inherently paper sized. IMHO what
> PDF needs is a remapping from paper view to screen view but the problem
> with PDF is that despite the verbosity of the format, it doesn't
> include *enough* data to remap to a different size because it loses
> track of all the page numbers, internal links and document sections.
>
> > Some authors actually don't care
> > about that because it's more important to them that the document should
> > render exactly the way they require it to and their attitude is that if
> > you can't view it by some method that allows it to do so, tough.
>
> Sadly, most PDF authors *do not* require that the PDF renders exactly
> as they intended - they simply assume that PDF is what everyone wants
> because their only other option (as they see it) is a Word document. If
> MS actually retained a compatible Word format, most PDF documents on
> the WWW would actually be Word documents
>
> > I think that may be a personal preference thing.  I have a 1280x1024
> > display, not large by any standards, and read a lot of PDF documentation
> > on-screen.
>
> I have to read quite a lot on a 1074x768 and the "split-screen"
> mentality drives me nuts. These are PDFs inherently designed to be
> viewed on the computer as e-learning support but because the originals
> also exist in paper form, the PDF is the A4 export of the original.
They're obviously not designed to be viewed on a computer then - perhaps
copied?
Progress on all sides of the computer revolution seems to have progressed
inversely proportionately to screen size * disk size * cpu size.

> I much prefer to read DocBook - especially if I can download the
> complete docbook and view it in yelp.
I think we need a little more meta-data, a lot more cross referencing, a
smidgen of automation (re the meta-data), and a lot less formatting (other
than style sheets) in our documentation.....
Tom te tom te tom