Re: [LUG] File Server

Hi Simon

On 01/10/2007, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The role of the server will be to mount as a hard drive to windows
> > boxes probably through WebDav. I have never done this before and
> > obviously don't want to mess up! So the questions are:
> > 1. Would someone be willing to do this for me? If so what would be the
> > cost. And how much would you charge for an ongoing service charge
> > please?
>
> Webdav is a bit of a curiosity, and what I've seen doesn't impress me.
>
> Too many little tweaks needed to make it all work smoothly, even then
> the functionality is limited and the presentation of it as a "web file
> system" tempts folk to use it like a proper file system (which it isn't).
>
> What are they hoping to get out of a file server like this, as we were
> looking at a little Perl tool that does a simple remote file store
> service if all you want is just control of a small number of files in a
> distributed team. That tool could be run in most purchased web hosts
> that provide Perl on Linux/Unix. Although how that compared to managed
> services like Google apps costwise I haven't looked closely.

I have already gone down the road of Google apps etc and they don't
seem interested! Too much change - this is a church!!! (Have you heard
the joke.... How many Anglicans does it take to change a lightbulb?
CHANGE!!!).

Anyway, I'm interested in this perl idea because I do already run a
web server hosted at Fasthosts. Contact me off-list if you want.

Many thanks.
--
Kind regards
Rich