Re: [LUG] Ubuntu

On Sunday 30 September 2007 19:09, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:48:00 +0100
>
> james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 11:12 +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:
> > > The install button and presence of partitioning  programs within Ubuntu
> > > [and most  big distributions] prohibits it being used in school systems
> > > where any CD must *not*  install to or *be capable of installing to*
> > > the desktop system by regulation.
> >
> > Is this a legal contract? It sounds like a monopolistic clause to me. Is
> > it a point where some leverage may be exerted? --
> > james kilty
> > http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk
>
> Sounds more like an over-officious (deliberate/ignorant) misreading of
> some arbitrary local guideline.
>
> There is no such regulation - there may be local policies but it is not
> illegal to have partitioning tools or installers on removable media.
> Use of any computer system without the authorisation of the owner of
> the equipment may be restricted but the details of what is authorised
> and what is not is decided *locally*.
>
> There is no country-wide legal prohibition of the use of removable
> media regarding the presence or absence of installers or partitioning
> tools. It simply wouldn't be workable. Any software can be deemed
> unauthorised, just as any software can be deemed authorised - the
> details of what is in which category is decided locally and therefore
> needs to be challenged locally by increasing understanding and
> awareness.
>
> It's not hard to see why administrators would not be keen on
> authorising installers and partitioning tools - Windows based
> partitioning tools still have a reputation for mangling data and if a
> PC is part of an organisation-wide IT network, the network admin (any
> network admin) isn't going to be keen on all and sundry installing new
> software - whether that is a new game or a new OS. To dress this up as
> a "regulation" or "legal obstacle" is just FUD.
Its more likely to be local contracts with 'support' services where they have
been written to prevent any other operating system being run in a school.
You know - the ones where I donate a computer with Linux on it to a school and
the company who does the 'support' gets a payment for this even though they
refuse to touch it.
Cant think who might be behind this.
Tom te tom te tom