Re: [LUG] no bundling windows with pc's!!!

Terry Hill wrote:
> Will consumers be offered the choice of the m$ bundle of the day or just
> walking out with a pc that doesn't have an operating system, and be
> expected to go find one?
PC World's much vaunted 'Tech Guys' could install it for them.  I'm
positive they could download all the latest Linux distros, and of course
have copies of MacOS and Windows to hand.

The added bonus to all this of course is that the customer actually gets
the OS Disks for the first time in *probably* 7 or 8 years. It was a
major pain in the backside to be speaking to a customer on Tech Support
and ask 'Put your Windows CD in please'.. 'Don't have one... I've got
Quick Restore Disk...'

Argh.

It goes without saying they could burn a copy of the relevant Linux
distro as and when required.

The reason Microsoft don't want this is simple.  At the moment every PC
sold is automatically a sale of Windows (mostly Vista) regardless of
whether it stays installed or gets replaced.  Imagine what it will do to
their share price and sales figures if people stop getting Windows
forced down their throats :)

Kind regards,

Julian