Re: [LUG] USB speakers

Simon Robert wrote:

> when I do a search on dsp I end up with the following
>
> /sys/class/sound/dsp
> /var/lib/alsa/dev/dsp
> /dev/dsp
> /dev/sound/dsp

Ok thats reasonable, looks like you've got alsa and a oss compatability
layer for alsa. But i could be wrong!

> all except /dev/dsp are owned by root. /dev/dsp is owned by me and is in
> the audio group. /dev/sound/dsp is a symbolic link to /dsp also owned by
> root. I don't know how to find out what it is linked to, I'm assuming
> /dev/dsp?

A bit odd that /dev/dsp is not owned by root? But then various
udev/hotplug and other things can do magic to those and change them as
you log in etc.

> I started a root session and tried playing stuff, changing the kmix drop
> down and then using amarok. This made no difference either.
>

> This makes not a vast amount of sense to me, but on the basis of what I
> think it means I checked the volume on PCM is up, select the USB audio
> stuff from the kmix drop down and set the master channel to PCM.

Yea you want PCM up, thats the basic digital input from the kernel channel.

> pcm in /proc/asound looks like this
>
>          -r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Sep 23 09:00 pcm
>
> how would I send an mp3/wav file to it?

With out decoding you can't send a mp3 file anywhere (well you can but
its a horrible noise). You can send a wav file to /dev/dsp etc by doing

cat mysound.wav > /dev/dsp

ONLY do this to /dev/dsp or /dev/sound/dsp DON'T do this to /proc /sys
/lib etc... entries.

Robin