Re: [LUG] Best filesystem for the job

stinga wrote:

> Simple question, seems to be a difficult answer.
>
> I have large video files.
> At the moment I am using ext3 and was wondering if there is a better FS
> to use.
>
> One that uses less disk space would be better.

;) File system overheads are small compared to video files, assuming the
data is compressed already in some format, there isn't much hope of a
big gain here.

I'd take;
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388#comment_127

with a pinch of salt, some filesystems do more upfront to save
elsewhere. Although I really like Reiser file systems, the future for
them seems a little murky.

> Any suggestions.
>
> Not fussed about journaling, these tend to be write once read many,
> only file tends to be hit at anyone time and they sequentially.

File systems tend to be important when there is activity - updates to
meta data, blocking writes, journals etc. This is what file system
benchmarks tend to compare. Which is probably why it is difficult to
find a good answer to reading big files.

One guy did some CD ISO manipulations.

If the dominant factor is reading large chunks of files, the main
feature you probably want is fast repair, which ironically probably
means a (meta-data) journalling file system, in that if a very big file
system is improperly shut down you care only that it is repaired quickly
and with limited resources, so the box reboots in a sensible time.

So avoid ext2/ext3 due to fsck time if that is likely to be a problem.
Leaves ReiserFS, XFS, JFS. I heard XFS is memory hungry is an fsck is
required, and the benchmark thus imply JFS would be a good choice.

Personally I doubt you'd notice any difference between most of them, not
least for reading disk, and switching from ext3 unless there is a
specific pain won't help.

Whilst there might be some mileage in file system choice, probably what
is more important is hardware choice, and other configuration of the I/O
subsystem. i.e. Are you getting the most out of the hardware (hdparm is
your friend). Is Linux caching efficient for the I/O being done, does it
read ahead well?

What use is this? If personal use I'd say stick with ext3. If you are
serving video to a big network, I suspect hardware choice is more
crucial, also splitting the data over multiple disks might help.

Is there a specific problem you are encountering?