Re: [LUG] South Hams council asking for suggestions on how to save money

Rob Beard wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:37:55PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>>
>>> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>>>

>>> Aren't South Hams Council under Devon County Council?
>>>
>>> I very much doubt they've moved away from MS Office.  Devon County
>>> Council was certainly a Microsoft shop when I was working there a couple
>>> of years back and I expect things haven't changed.
>>>
>>> Then again, maybe they might have looked at how Bristol City Council
>>> have implemented FLOSS.
>>>

>> 1/ South Hams are under Devon County Council
>> 2/ I very much doubt they will move from MS at all rapidly
>> 3/ Sooner or later someone is going to do a back of envelope cost /benefit study
>> and wake up to the real savings in time and money
>>
>> The South Hams website is full of articles about how they want to save money and
>> spend it more effectively. They are going to have to start thinking about their
>> software decisions at some point
>>

> Hopefully they will do.  I bet a lot of those savings on M$ software
> could be put to better uses, okay probably not really cheaper council
> tax, but maybe spent on things like schools or other things in the area.
>
> I was thinking actually, a talk on Free software and it's benefits might
> be something that South Hams Radio might be interested in.
>
> Rob

Perhaps as the cornwall council people have moved over, it may be worth
getting them to this meeting togther,  invite them to do a talk,  and
invite south hams council along to that meeting,    if we arrange it,
the cornwall council people agree to come along,  it would make an
interesting presentatiom,  as they can ask questions directly to the
cornwall council people regarding the financian and technical issues
involved.

at the same time,  lug members are available,  to answer questions,  and
any concerns about tech support or even getting the staff to support OSS
systems can be addressed,  in addition if a school was to go over to
OSS,  perhaps local lug members who have free time may offer their
services,

in addiiton a large number of the opencd can be handed out,  for people
to take away and have a look at,   I am sure the open source consortium
people can get involved,

I am sure at some point councils will be forced in some way to move to
vista,   which is going to cost millions,  switching to OSS will save
money,  some of which can be spent on training, as the open cd can be
givenb away freely,  all thats needed is a large number of cd's to be
available in local libraries,  not freely but perhaps for enough for the
council to cover the costs of the media,  etc,.  (which of course is
perfectly ok),

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events

15th September 2007 - Software Freedom Day
20th October 2007 - Lug clustering meeting.
18th October 2007 - Ubuntu 7.10 release date
28th October - Penzance Computers meet
11th November. Penzance Computers meet

details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.

visit us on IRC - irc.phractured.net / 6667 #dclug