Re: [LUG] Ubuntu install taking ages

Julian Hall wrote:
Simon Williams wrote:

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS IT DOING!?!?!?!

It's a fairly old laptop- less than 1Ghz I think, and the CD drive
probably isn't too fast, but none the less- it shouldn't take anything
like this long.

Agreed to the RAM comments.. the friend I mentioned  a couple of days
ago who couldn't install 7.06 added 512Mb to her system and it installed
sweet as a nut.

Still can't get her Linksys card to work though.

Kind regards,

Julian

my laptop, not very high or low end, has been freezing up after an hour or so sitting around or quicker if used heavily. So I thought I'd stick ubuntu on it (instead of pclos) and see if things improved. The machine froze within minutes of booting up everytime! No doubt the problem is down to the laptop, but ubuntu does seem to have memory eating issues. Back to PClinuxOS and even if it does hang every now and then it is usable.

Simon

--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk