Re: [LUG] Fw: [ffii] OOXML fails to get approval, but ISO process continues

Neil Williams wrote:
> FFII PRESS RELEASE -- [ Europe / Economy / Innovation ]

> OOXML fails to get approval, but ISO process continues
>
> Brussels, 5 September 2007. The draft standard OOXML submitted by
> Microsoft and ECMA has been rejected in a vote at ISO, reaching
> neither the required 2/3 majority among "participating countries" nor
> the required 3/4 majority among all countries. However, ISO decided
> not to finish the procedure yet, but instead to go for a ballot
> resolution meeting in February, where Microsoft will attempt to
> present solutions to the numerous problems that have been pointed out.
> If enough countries change their vote, the proposal still has a chance
> to pass.
>
> Several irregularities have been reported in the ISO process. These
> include purchasing of votes in Sweden, admitted by Microsoft;
> rejection of Microsoft's competitors in Portugal because of lack of
> chairs; hijacking of standardisation committees in many countries,
> including USA, Italy, Colombia and Mexico; manipulations of the vote
> process by presidencies in Switzerland and Uruguay; replacement of an
> insufficiently Microsoft-friendly technical committee by a "more
> agreeable" one in Poland; non-acceptance of competition in Venezuela
> and Ukrania; and more. In general the process has been driven, except
> in a minority of the countries, by attempts to put as many gold
> partners as possible in the committee responsible.
>
> Benjamin Henrion, leader of the FFII NoOOXML.org campaign, comments:
> "The OOXML proposal is so poor that if anyone else had submitted it
> they would have been laughed at. I don't understand why the ISO
> secretariat has not already put it in the waste basket. The
> continuation of the process means more scandals hurting the public
> image of ISO."
>
> Alberto Barrionuevo, FFII vice president, agrees: "What is at stake is
> not so much the fate of the inappropriately named 'Open XML' format,
> but ISO's reputation. The fact that many ISO member bodies have
> approved of OOXML due to severe manipulations suggests that the
> process needs to be overhauled. We strongly recommend that ISO
> reconsiders its system and regulations."
>
> ======================
> Background Information
> ======================
>
> Microsoft has been pushing for adoption of its Microsoft Office file
> format as an ISO standard. The format was adopted as ECMA 376, and
> ECMA subsequently submitted it to ISO for fast-track (six-month)
> approval. An unprecedented number of comments by ISO member bodies had
> been submitted in the first stage of the process in February 2007.
>
> More information is available in http://www.NoOOXML.org/, FFII's web
> site campaign. The ballot results are at
> http://www.NoOOXML.org/ballotresults.
>
> An HTML version of this press release, as well as previous press
> releases, can be found at http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/.
>
> ==============
> [...]

Next time we have a meeting, and  talk about vendor trust,  all we need
to do is print this and related articles off,  and hand them out to
people to read, over coffee, then have a open discussion on the
subject,.   I am sure a lot of people are unaware of M$;s underhand
tactics,  at getting their own way.  It could be an eye opener for people.

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events

15th September 2007 - Software Freedom Day
20th October 2007 - Lug clustering meeting.
18th October 2007 - Ubuntu 7.10 release date
28th October - Penzance Computers meet
11th November. Penzance Computers meet

details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.

visit us on IRC - irc.phractured.net / 6667 #dclug