Re: [LUG] DIY supercomputer

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 09:06:51PM +0100, Clare Shepherd wrote:
>    On 31 Aug 2007, at 11:13, Tom Potts wrote:
>
>      I want one!
>
>    Wow, I want one too. I advise anyone interested in supercomputers to
>    follow the link. All that power and it runs off the mains, isn't
>    cooled and cost under �2500. Thanks for the headsup Tom.

I have to say though, I don't think this is a particularly good way
to build a cluster.  A cluster that fits on a single desk in the
footprint of a normal mini/miditower PC, yes.  But to compare that
to professionally-constructed clusters and claim that the low cost
per GFLOP means it is better seems to be an er.. interesting use of
statistics :)

For a start this goes beyond commodity components - they used the
most bargain basement components imaginable.  MSI motherboards!?  I
could spend probably twice as much and still be using commodity
components, and to be honest if I wanted something reliable I
definitely would.

Then there is the decidedly ghetto construction.  I don't think it
will scale well beyond 4 nodes, and I don't think it would be
workable in terms of failure rate of components if you did.

It was an interesting article though - good to see what can be
achieved even with cheap stuff.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB