Re: [LUG] ubuntu/kubuntu boot config

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 10:47, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > Is there a program to change the boot order choices ?
>
> boot order choices? do you mean which order it starts the services?
>
> mv is probably the program for it.
>
> in /etc/rc?.d there are symlinks named like S21servicename where the S
> means start (K means stop) and the number defines the order in which
> they are run. Lowest number first. Change the numbers and you change
> the order.
>
> what are you trying to do?
Thanks for all the input.
I used to have a distribution (suse 5.2/rh 6.1??) that had a gui/curses app to
modify the boot order for grub - asked for root password before starting.
I cant find similar in kubuntu.
The process of modifying grub.conf is relatively easy but you can easily do
silly things - set the default off the end of the list etc, or forget to set
the permissions back etc etc.
Its not something I need to change often but this one is on the 'family'
windoze machine and my 4yr old gets a bit confused when the kernel updates
and next time it boots it goes into kubuntu and not windows...
Just a minor irritation.....
Tom te tom te tom