Re: [LUG] paniclog

Tony Sumner wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't understand what is happening here. Mail on that PC
> seems to be working normally and the loopback device is set up in the
> usual way. Could someone explain please? Why would loopback fail? Is
> it something I need to worry about? Why did root wait from 11 July to
> 31 July before saying anything?

My guess is that port 25 was already in use. This could happen if Exim
started before a previous running version was stopped, or similar.

Did you perhaps restart Exim on the 31st, thus triggering the message,
perhaps a reboot?

Do you run logcheck, or similar, so that you get interesting log
messages in a timely fashion?

If Exim can stop and start cleanly, I wouldn't stress too much, but it
might be worth ensuring you are notified earlier in future.