Re: [LUG] Debian Lenny Exim4 update problem

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:27:57 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:38:20 +0100
> Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Henry,
>
> > 1 : any idea how I can extract / create the latest debian lenny exim4
> > config file (I want to see again if I can repeat the problem)
>
> .deb packages are just tar/gzip archives, so you'll have all the
> relevant tools available to rip out the .conf file.

True, but it isn't intuitive and you have to unpack the tar.gz AND
decompress other files within the tar.gz and clean up the temporary
directories yourself later. (Yes, .deb packages commonly have three
layers of compression: ar, tar.gz and gzip.) There is a guide on the
Debian Admin site: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/116

As ever, a GUI can only do so much of what a script can do on the
command line. In this case, deb-gview is limited to showing text-based
files in it's own view window or extracting any file from a .deb if a
viewer application is available (images, sounds, etc.) via a dot file
in your home directory (see manpage). What it does not (currently)
support is extracting the ELF binary files themselves - mainly because
I'm not sure there is a good reason to support that. Overall, there
isn't that much that you can do on the command line that cannot also be
done in deb-gview. (I would say that, I wrote deb-gview.) ;-)

deb-gview can use GnomeVFS to open remote .deb files, e.g. direct from
the Debian mirror or the Debian incoming queue or any other network
location. It can also open .deb files built for a foreign architecture
because the .deb format itself is architecture-neutral. This allows
maintainers to view the actual package built by the auto-builders for
sparc without needing a sparc box etc.

I'm currently preparing the next release (awaiting translations) so if
there are requests . . .

Naturally, deb-gview is in Ubuntu (albeit a slightly older version) but
doesn't make that much sense for Fedora/Mandriva etc. The primary usage
of deb-gview is actually for Debian maintainers who can build a package
and pass the .changes file to deb-gview to inspect the contents of
all .deb files created by that build, one per window.

Note that this involves unpacking and decompressing all files within
the .deb, including manpages and ChangeLog files that would be
installed in a compressed state, so viewing lots of large packages can
take a bit of RAM. e.g. I wouldn't recommend viewing the .changes file
from a gcc-4.2 build with less than 1Gb of RAM but then that is some 40
packages or so and most people would only want to view a few at a time.
I have used deb-gview to open about 60 packages from one .changes file
for smaller source packages without problems and in less RAM.

--

Neil Williams