Re: [LUG] ISP's again.

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 08:43, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:02:14 +0100
> Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Tom,
>
> > I thought all adsl (wot comes down your phone line) is basically BT
>
> You've forgotten about LLU set-ups.
>
> LLU (Local loop unlocked) means that your supplier is putting their own
> equipment in the exchange.  Usually, this is cheaper than the stuff BT
> would use, and less reliable.  Consequently, more equipment failures,
> line drops, etc.
I thought most of them used BT provided stuff at wholesale prices  - ie they
can go and put their own gear in but BT have (to have) deals that allow the
smaller suppliers to rent bt eqpt and services.
So an SME will probably be using the same eqpt as BT whereas a larger ones may
have their own eqpt.
BT would not ( in theory) be able to provide an inferior service to the SME's
under competition laws.
I say in theory - my local ISP is ITSOS and we had a lot of line problems. We
got to the call out stage  - where BT would have turned up at my house and
checked the line from here [theres nothing wrong  thats £70 thankyou] when
the line suddenly went stable and has not crashed since ( 2 mths). I think
the line was fixed on the Friday before the Monday call out and they forgot
to unfix it when we cancelled the callout. But I could just be paranoid as I
worked for BT.

> When it comes to load, some providers skimp on the amount of equipment
> required, hoping that most of the time, not many of their customers are
> on-line at any given time, and those that are, are just downloading
> email.  as a result, you can be in a situation whereby you've got a 7MB
> connection, but due to contention (fighting for bandwidth with other
> customers) issues, you only get what amounts to a 500k connection.
> Better (read; more expensive) suppliers have far greater capacity to
> cope with the demand their customers may make.
I've always found that if there is contention everyone get squeezed no matter
who you are with. Though nowadays that seems to be more down to the source
host than the network - ie its the site your downloading from thats putting
on the squeeze and not the ISP. No point in an 8M line trying to download
from a site that wont deliver more that 128k down a single connection....
A lot of people think their connection is being squeezed when its the site
their downloading from.
Tom te tom te tom