Re: [LUG] Which Distro?!

Wow - thanks for all the responses!!

I think I'm going to have to give PCLinuxOS a try, as I only ever hear
good things about it :D I'm put off by KDE though, but maybe when KDE
4 comes up I'll give it a go because I'm quite excited to use
Plasma...

For the time being, I fixed my problem with openSUSE - I'd checked a
box to change hostname by DHCP in the installation, and after a lot of
Googling I found that this could cause my exact problem (extremely
slow application startup); so I un-marked that and couldn't be
happier!

Yast is superb, and the overall presentation of the distro is better
than anything else I've ever used. I have a few gripes with some of
their free software policies (I hope in the future they'll ship
liberation fonts rather than licensing from a proprietary company, for
example) but I've taken a turn for pragmatism, so this works for me :D

As for Ubuntu - the problem I had with this particular instance was
that the wireless would drop a *lot* and so wasn't really practical,
and I don't have the luxury of waiting until gutsy gibon...even had
the wireless not been a problem, I'm certainly more impressed by
openSUSE for now, but I'll have to live with it for a few weeks to see
what it's really like.

Thanks for all the responses from everyone - give openSUSE a try :D

Jon