Re: [LUG] ISP's again.

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:15:16 +0100
> Dave Foxcroft <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Neil Williams wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> because TeleWest/Eurobell/VirginMedia/whoever they are this week
>>> consider mylocality of Plymouth to be beyond-the-pale,
>>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> How come you can't get cable in Plymouth? I used to do business
>> installs and fibre work for them (Telewest/NTL...)and Plymouth is
>> well serviced.
>>

> ?? "Service" is less than 75% of the population - even within the
> "official" city limits. There are areas within 1km of the old TeleWest
> HQ that have no cable supply.
>
> It's the same story with BT. I have to drive passed the exchange every
> single day and I know the distance (by road) to be 1.3 miles - it would
> be even less in a straight line. So why is my telephone cable length
> 5.3 miles? BT don't care about this locality and neither do cable
> companies. I'm lucky to get any telephone connection - yet I'm within
> the city limits. I can see houses that have cable and 8Mb broadband but
> I have no cable and <1Mb broadband. Nothing has changed in ten years -
> this despite a BT technical engineer living next door.

I sympathise - maybe the word 'service' was a wrong choice.

BT - no doubt 5.3 miles of ancient copper (or worse Aluminium)fed via
dodgy ducts that go anywhere but straight, but that MAY change once the
21CN is up and running - if they manage to get it sorted!!

The problem with cable is that they missed out some areas, even in the
city centre  when they put in the ducts that carry the cables and of the
areas that did get them - a lot of those original ducts are now so
congested that you can't get any more cables into them. My guess is that
your area is one of those that missed out when the ducts were being put in.

I've been in the firing line on many occasions when doing a site survey
and I have had to inform the client that they can't have cable installed
because there is no duct and that it would be too expensive, not worth
the time and effort etc. to put one in - I'm glad to be out of it

Incidently , the distance from the Telewest HQ (Plymouth Headend)
shouldn't be an issue as they make use of things like roadside
switches(effectively an exchange on the street) with fibre connecting
them to it. Telephony and CATV / ADSL are also carried on separate
circuits- some of the reasons why they are capable of higher data rates.

Dave