Re: [LUG] link with computer shop now GNU/Linux beginners session

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 22:18 +0100, Mark Jose wrote:
> On Sunday 08 July 2007 20:29, james kilty wrote:
>
> > I wanted to keep it simple. Whilst showing a few distros might be good,
> > giving a narrow choice would make the first session easy and more
> > reliable, hence my preference for Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD. I personally
> > prefer to offer what I have experience of, and will try Fedora soon and
> > the latest OpenSuse. I have found Knoppix Live CD excellent.
I gave a copy to a friend who lost his data!

> Much as I love Knoppix - I carry it as part of my PC repair suite whenever I
> am called to fix yet another Windows problem - it is a little bit OTT perhaps
> for the beginner maybe.
The context was what I had tried.
>  The Ubuntu family are what I use personally, so I
> would tend to go for those, but I can appreciate there are other equally good
> live disks out there. PCLinuxOS was mentioned - and that is available on this
> months LXF - as is Fedora.
Indeed and they reviewed and compared several. U came out top on their
criteria though others were close.
>   One thing I did find good with PCLinuxOS is that
> it does use (albeit slightly rebadged) the old Mandrake control panel stuff
> which is always good.
> The best option for which live CD to use is to pick whatever the demonstrator
> is used to. Familiarity with the system helps when explaining/demonstrating
> the product.
Perzackly.
> James, I don't know if you have seen the Ubuntu-UK mailing list, but they are
> working on leaflets for distributing at such events as this. Of course, they
> are Ubuntu specific in the main, but most of the stuff is general.
> It can be found on the wiki for the ubuntu-uk group at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/Leaflets
> specifically, the Hadenough leaflet.
Thanks I'll have a look.
>  Although not really quite finished, they
> are worth a look for possible future use or maybe as an idea for some more
> generic leaflets for handing out perhaps?
We seem to be working towards a suite of resource modules.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk