Re: [LUG] Microsoft pushing OpenXML

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 13:25, james kilty wrote:

> Is anyone talking to them about what they are doing or are they so
> mesmerised by Microsoft that they think they are the only ones capable
> of assisting them?
>
> james kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

Have you ever tried dealing with these "great British Institutions"?
After the Beeb iplayer thing was originally vaunted, I emailed them to ask if
open formats were being used - they claimed they were considering the
options. OK, no problem. Then, when it was announced that they had chosen the
Microsoft DRM system - Windows only kids! - I emailed the BBC Trust,
the "independant" body which is supposed to oversee the Beeb and ensure our
licence fees are not being wasted.
They responded with a quick email, thanking me for my message and attaching
their resonse. The response was in.... yep, you guessed it - Word .doc
format!
Bearing in mind that the response could have been simply copied as text to the
email, and also that I had already made the point that I do not use Microsoft
products, that was rather annoying!
At least they replied - many other organisations have never responded to
emails.
These organisations have no understanding of the issues at all. When the BBC
were pulled up regarding the iPlayer only being Windows compatible, they
eventually decided that a Mac version would be worked on - and maybe released
at the end of the year. No mention of Linux at all.
I honestly believe that many (most) companies do not understand that .doc
or .ppt or other Windows formats are proprietary. I receive a number of
emails from a wide range of people who attach .doc files or excel
spreadsheets - despite being informed that I prefer open formats.

Mark