Re: [LUG] Secure web browsing with live distro

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 00:16, Simon Waters wrote:
> george wrote:
> > What a simple idea and so bleeding obvious.
>
> Which is why lots of people have had it.
>
> > And what a way to sell a Linux
> > intro to the unwashed masses.
> >
> > http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13292/53/
>
> Whilst I like the idea - I can think of one downside.
>
> The main reason Windows viruses don't try to mess with the BIOS is that
> there is nowt to gain, and an infected host to lose from ones botnet.
>
> As soon a booting from an alternative media is widespread for banking,
> some of the bots will try to hijack the BIOS so they can steal data from
> the other operating system (or listen to the network traffic), or hijack
> the router for similar (router meddling has the same downsides as BIOS
> meddling for the abuser).
>
> Indeed subverting routers with Javascript has already been done, at
> least as a proof of concept. The Javascript looked for routers, at the
> manufacturers default IP address, with the manufacturers default
> username/password (default passwords are a stupid idea! See Oracle and
> "change on install" story). It would then login and change your routers
> settings, which with things like DNS makes for a powerful kind of
> phishing. So visiting a website with such Javascript led to exploit.
>
> I'm also surprised how many people don't know that by default IE allows
> the copying of clipboard content by Javascript. Think about it the next
> time you are about to cut and paste a password into a webpage in IE.
> Then again Firefox makes enabling this functionality on a per site basis
>  difficult as there is no built in GUI for it, where as IE makes it
> relatively easy (although I think attempting to secure IE is a futile
> activity).
I'm afraid the above notes list to a large degree why computing has ground to
a halt over the last few years. M$ has been selling the lie that computing
can be made easy - it cant! You cant make something easy to use, useable and
secure. Turning down security on a computer is like turning off the braking
system on a car so you at least get somewhere.
Default username/passwords are a must in this environment as otherwise there
would be thousands of inaccessible boxes everywhere!
Every company where I have worked that has had a security scare and has then
gone on to lock down has ground to a halt and effectively given on security.
Alas the same goes for those that have tried from the start using windows...

Secure web browsing is a nice idea but at some time there will be a power cut
and you will loose all your bookmarks and most people will grind to a halt
then.
Tom te tom te tom