Re: [LUG] Amusing

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 22:58, Simon Waters wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > Type in Linux into Google.
> > Who comes up first - and how much work have they done to support it?
>
> www.linux.org
Thats strange - I normally get microsoft 'get the facts' at the top - it would
seem my regular letters of complaint have worked! Thats only changed in the
last week or so!

> They have about a quarter of a million pages of information on Linux,
> all the stuff I tried is freely available for download.
>
> Next Debian.org, then Wikipedia, then Ubuntu.com -- damn - logs out of
> Google, tries again "linux.org" is still number 1, Debian just dropped 6
> places, personalised search - amazing stuff.
>
> > I don't know how Google's system is weighted but I bet money talks in
> > there somewhere.
>
> I think it is mostly people gaming Google, when you see odd results. I
> don't think Google need to take money for the search placings, they get
> that for the ads placement, and even some of our smaller clients are
> paying them serious money each week.
>
> Go listen to SEO rockstars. See how people game their search results,
> discover how much of the social networking sphere is full of fake
> accounts, and why wikipedia was spammed so much etc etc.
>
> I fully agree there was some jiggery pokery around the Expert Exchange
> stuff, but I'm prepared to believe it was because the people doing it
> were good at gaming Google, rather than paying Google money.
They may do both - but what they do is a common technique - when the search
engine Bots come searching they offer the 'paid for' content so the engine
will index it. When a browser looks at it they offer the 'pay for this' info
instead.
So you get your browser to impersonate a bot and loads of free info that you
could probably have got from MSN anyhow.....
Now if they had any brains at all they'd process the paid-for page information
to the bot so it can be indexed but not human read but that would involve
'creating a new idea' and not plagiarising which seems to be beyond them....
Tom te tom te tom