Re: [LUG] OT: Wind Turbines [WAS: Data Centres]

Energy cost lives

Highest death toll is conventional coal stations in mining accidents
with high illness rate in dust illness in coal industry and transport
and generation station coal crush to "dust" to burn.

Second highest is Oil industry toll in accidents on recovery and few in
refinery, little in generating stations

Wind power claims a few lives per year (one in UK in last two months)

solar (very heavy on chemicals and  power use in construction)

Nuclear - almost no deaths in West(where reactors correctly designed ) -
Chernobyl was one of 143 reactors without any triple shielding to save
costs in SU, and that accident is almost total nuclear power life cost.
As one with Comecon dealings,  it  made me weep, but great admiration
for KGB general who saved lots of us by sacrificing his regiments and
himself)

You need to factor in a lot of things to get an environmental balance

Not just power to construct/decommission

Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  Tel. +44 (0) 1925762873

Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
  If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.