Re: [LUG] Newton Abbot venue

Neil Stone wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm not sure how many of you remember last year that I mentioned about a
>> possible venue in Newton Abbot?
>>
>> The venue is The Music Mill recording studios near the new Asda in
>> Newton Abbot where we held the Children In Need event.
>>
>> Now I'm seeing Rick Edwards (of Gemini FM fame) who owns The Music Mill
>> tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone was actually interested in us
>> possibly using this as a venue?
>>
>> The venue itself has internet access (8MBit ADSL) and two car parks near
>> by (the Asda car park and also another one across the road from Asda).
>> The meeting room which we used is a decent size, it has tables and
>> chairs in it and it could accommodate about 15 people assuming we could
>> move a couple of tables around from other offices up there.
>>
>> The only issues I can think of with the venue is currently there is no
>> network ports in the meeting room.  At the Children In Need venue we got
>> around this by putting a cable through the ceiling and attaching this to
>> a switch.  If we want to/can use this venue then I have suggested to
>> Rick about getting the meeting room cabled up with one or two CAT5
>> network points.  Also, it is also up two flights of stairs so maybe not
>> so great to lug desktops to.
>>
>> Anyway, I thought I'd mention it before asking Rick again if we could
>> use their conference room as a venue.
>>
>> Ta,
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Wireless bridge possibly ?? or perhaps some of the people with skillz
> could install some CAT5 for them ;-)
>
> I would be interested in a venue like this, and I would be able to bring
> networking kit along too..
>
> Anyone else up for it ?
>
> - --
> Neil Stone

Well after the discussion about wireless lan cards I was thinking of
trying to make use of an old Dell small form factor PC (P3 667 with
about 64MB Ram).  I thought it would be cool to install something like
Smoothwall on it (running off a Compact Flash card).

I can install CAT5, in fact I have offered to do this as it is only one
or two cables that need installing.

I'll have a word with him tomorrow anyway.

Rob