[LUG] courses and specific list

Hi

I know we have discussed this before,  but would it be a good idea to
create a separate list to discuss open source learning issues, such as
gimp lessons, open icdl lessons etc etc.

my reasoning for this is:

Everyone on this list is interested in Linux and related issues
not everyone may be interested in lessons etc
we can attract people to this new list who have an interest in teaching,
but may not want to be sent mails regardng the technical issues of OSS,
out of this new user base, perhaps find people who can actually help
with venues,  equipment etc etc and move forward from simply discussion
to actually putting together lessons, and getting people to these
tutorials.  by being more focussed on this one issue.

new list will have less postings in the first instance, so less mail so
I am sure any teacher out there if signing up to this subject would
prefer e-mails that are focussed on this issue, rather than for example
a discussion on how to compile the kernel, or configure X, networking etc.

Don't get me wrong, we can have a rule where we can cross post relevatn
information, for example we can announce lug meets / events / and
tutorial sessions on both lists.  so its not a split,  it takes pressure
off this list, and perhaps allows us to reach out to people who we need
to help,  and don't want to scare off because they would have to
subscribe to the dclug list to discuss issues relating to running
lessons on software.

I do agree however we could use the openicdl materials as a basis for
our learning materials,  that way its a fixed focus, syllabus, which
also means anyone completing this will have the knowledge to complete
the related exams,  all we then need is a centre where people can do
ecdl type exams using OSS.   If someone out there is an ingots assesor,
then perhaps we could do ingots assesment at lug meetings.  again this
is where attracting people to this new list would be useful.

Paul

--
Events

Linuxbierwanderung - Torbay Mini Linux Beer Hike
28th / 29th July 2007
http://www.linuxbierwanderung.org/
Follow torbay mini LBW link.

http://www.openoffice.org