[LUG] What a vista!

Posted by "Berry Christopher" <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A few weeks ago I admitted to buying a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium
pre-installed! I got a few bricks back, but what are bricks at my age to worry about!
Anyway, some of you may be interested to know how I have found the new OS. The
answer is it has been a macabre experience!
Annoying becasue permissions are needed for most everything and decidedly slow!
The much vaunted Media Centre has frozen three times, gone into blackout and could
only be resolved by switching off!!
A quiet game of solitaire has ended in the same way several times!
To fix this I decided to 'Windows Update' only to find that I could not!!! I
received 'error 80072EE2' everytime I tried.
Put this error into your Yahoo or Google search box and you discover that you are
NOT alone, in fact, you have joined a multitude!
So I decided to go via Microsoft.com BUT I cannot get into this address either!!!
Oh! And I use Adobe software and they are not happy together!!
THEN via the following site - apcmag.com I found a safe way to dual boot Ubuntu 7.04
(AMD 64 bit) to installed Vista and it worked!
I get the options of Ubuntu, Xp or Vista Longhoern loader!
I will get rid of Vista when I have resolved the following problems:
1. I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router in the main
lounge attached to main computer the kids use, whilst grandad is elsewhere connected
via the USB Network Adapter, BUT though fine in Vista,it will not work in Ubuntu and
so I am offline!!
2. Need to get Epson scanner 2480 to work and OCR software.
It's been masochistic fun!
Christopher.
--

Generated by the contributors page