Re: [LUG] Locales and ££££'s and Perl

Neil Williams wrote:

> I still suspect an incomplete conversion of the environment to UTF8.

I suspect that it is down to "vim" ;)

I'm fairly sure the issue relates to the mode "vim" chooses
automatically when editing the file. It tries to do the right thing,
which meant when I had a malformed "utf-8" character in the file, it
didn't trigger it's utf-8 mode. GIGO - but it is quite hard to tell when
the garbage looks correct in about 50% of your tools, and another tool
is silently switching modes based on that garbage. By the time we ran
hexdump, I'd fixed it all up.

Basically the program works fine if you don't start with a corrupt £
sign in it, and yes all your characters display fine in Thunderbird.

Several issues this end.

1) Dojo doesn't pick up the encoding from a form, so doing asynchronous
form submissions with the Dojo toolkit means you have to explicitly set
the encoding in the Javascript. http://www.get-the-answer.info/pdf/1.pdf

2) The Perl Template Toolkit filters (well html_entity) appears to need
some explicit hinting as to the decoding to use. But I'm still working
on understanding exactly what is going on there. The nice folk on
#catalyst seem to understand it - well some of them ;)

Basically TT doesn't assume UTF-8 as far as I can tell. I assume
backward compatibility. Our own filters are fine -- hohum - tomorrow...