Re: [LUG] OT [Fwd: '$100 laptop' sparks war of words]

Adrian Midgley wrote:

>Julian Hall wrote:
>

>>*Chip-maker Intel "should be ashamed of itself" for efforts to undermine
>>the $100 laptop initiative, according to its founder Nicholas Negroponte.*
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6675833.stm
>>

>Concur.

There are issues with the OLPC design,  but on balance Intels position
is purely commercial. I suspect they have been planning this since they
where snubbed in favour of AMD by OLPC. Also a point to note, that Intel
where very much in the Microsoft camp at the WSIS in Tunisa.

IMO Intel are peddling a "product", what the OLPC team are producing is
a solution the design of which is based on needs and best know
educational practicies. Its a pitty its taken over 40 years to get from
the original research principals founded by Seymour Papert to a
collaboration tool like the OLPC, but at least the effort has shifted up
a gear. Sure there are elements of the design that may be classed as
clumsy, it may not be powerful enough, and it may not be as sustainable
as its creator would have wished, but it follows the correct ethos.  The
correct path is however rarely the easiest and it would be a shame to
see Intel trading on a name in order to prise cash from developing
nations to the detrement of OLPC efforts to produce a common "education
platform".

Intels position will do nothing to foster native software development
and commerce, only create another channel in which money flows from poor
to rich while technological exchange trickles ever so slowly the other
way ( and that the way some would like it to stay). IMO Keeping self
determination out of the reaches of developing nations is what global
commercials like Intel and Microsoft do best whether its their intention
or not.

I suspect however that Intel will get their way ....... When you can
throw as much cash at advertising as Intel and Microsoft can ... it
makes life difficult for the little guys.

America has American Software Developers
Europe has European Software Developers
Its time Africa had African Software Developers......

Tom.