Re: [LUG] [OT] Thunderbird Email Folders

Simon Williams wrote:
> Anton Channing wrote:
>> Being used to KMail, I am finding Thunderbird
>> a little on the frustrating side.  Basically
>> I have multiple email accounts and I like to
>> share one global inbox for them all.
>
>> Well, in KMail I could assign one of my email
>> addresses to a folder so that if I was in that
>> folder and went to write a new mail, it would
>> automatically default to the right account.
>
> With Thunderbird you aren't supposed to share an inbox. I have several
> accounts- each have their own inbox and folders- replies come from the
> account that the folder belongs to. Mixing and matching doesn't really
> sound like a good idea to me anyway.

I have so many email accounts they would
create far too much scrolling.  Replies
work fine.  Its new messages that it gets
confused about.

Global inbox works great for me.  I wouldn't
ming having multiple inboxes if they were
just subfolders of the main inbox.  But they
insist on adding a collapsible collection
of six or so extra folders for each account!
It just gets silly when you have as many
accounts as I do.

> Besides, this way I only have to configure the account, and all my mail
> comes with it- I don't have to setup this folder mapping for every
> computer I want to download mail to. I use IMAP though.

Fair enough, if I had a spare box to use as
an IMAP server, I'd probably set up something
similar, or have a go anyway.

But to tell the truth, I mostly use these
accounts for mailing lists, newsletters and
such like.  Most other mail goes to my gmail
account these days, which obviously I can
access anywhere I can get online, so I really
don't mind it being on one machine.

Anton