Re: [LUG] Holsworthy Memorial Hall

On 5/15/07, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:21:04 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sounds good
>
> What office software is included,  is it possible to install
> openoffice.org along side MS office.  If it can it means that a) they
> can run courses using openoffice,  and give the software away for people
> to use the same software at home.  Its also good for advocacy on the
> alternatives.
>
> If they are stuck with MS works,  then its an ideal opportunity,  refer
> to recent thread regarding wps file formats.
>
> Once people are using openoffice.org switching to Linux is much easier
> if you are  familar with an office suite application.
>
> Same would apply for thunderbird / Firefox.
>
> What do you mean by Linux training exactly,  perhaps Open source
> software related training sounds better,  especially as Linux is really
> the kernel.
>
> Is it possible for the lug to hold meetings at this venue,  if so and on
> a regular basis,  it opens up a  whole window of opportunity for the
> lug,  as meetings can be open to the public,  and perhaps we can give
> demos and talks about free software issues, without being too technical
> or political, raise awareness of attacks of freedom (DRM , patents etc),
>
> If people look at openoffice.org and agree its a good piece of
> software,  then its a first step on the long road to more acceptance.
>
> for any one who  does not know where holsworthy is
>
> *http://www.visitholsworthy.com/info.php?info=location*
>
> *Hope this helps*
>
> *paul*

I will be up in town tomorrow. As there seems to be some interest I
will make some enquiries and come back with some more info.

Neil

Just spent much of the afternoon waiting  for OO to recover on four different occcasions for four different reasons, finishing  up with putting the Applications/Places line  at the bottom of the screen just above the file line.  Closing down, leaving for a time then starting up again hss made no difference.  This is a different problem to that of OO hanging up, but it just happened in the same session, I think.  Anybody have any ideas please ?