Re: [LUG] Programs which start on login

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Perhaps it would be better for me to simply stop the programs in a
> terminal screen. I know how shutdown mysql. Apache is the problem.
> Until yesterday I didn't even know it was running all the time.
>
> How do I stop apache please, that is the equivalent of mysqladmin
> shutdown?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

BTW, any daemon, like Apache, uses the startup scripts found in /etc/init.d/
You can issue 3 common commands to these scripts:
start
stop
restart
So just type /etc/init.d/apache2 stop|start|restart to stop, start or
restart Apache.

Another useful one to know about is /etc/init.d/networking. For example
if you are using a wireless card connecting from one access point to
another you will want to refresh the IP that the DHCP server gives you
(Assuming you are setup for dynamic address allocation with DHCP). Then
you would just run "/etc/init.d/networking restart" which would restart
the networking. I often find this useful since running ifdown, ifconfig
down, ifup, ifconfig up, takes a lot more typing and waiting and
sometimes it just didn't work properly.

Anyway the point is these scripts give you control over your daemons.

Andy