Re: [LUG] 'All In One' compatible printers ?

Henry Bremridge wrote:

> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html
>
> I am not sure what the license is, but cannot recall agreeing to anything.
> Source code is available at the website

Most Brother Printer drivers for Linux/Unix are licensed under the terms
of the GNU GPL. But always check if you plan on redistributing software.
Hopefully this means they will be bundled in major distro's or with the
various printer subsystems more and more.

I have to say I've been quite impressed by Brother, good prices, good
drivers and plenty for Linux, with well made hardware.

Some of the documentation is a tad short on context, so sometimes it is
hard to know what applies to you when, but otherwise I think they do well.

I think the problem is most of the documentation is aimed at printer
administrators, and people who know how Linux printing works, which is
fine if you are settings up the 100th printer for a University network,
but if it is your first printer for your home network, and you don't
know the difference between CUPS and lpd, their website is a bit
daunting. Then again it isn't their job to explain CUPS really, and the
CUPS documentation is very good.