Re: [LUG] Thanks but there's more!!!!

On Friday 11 May 2007 08:25, Simon Williams wrote:

> > Use sudo again Christopher.
> > sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
>
> You can't do that. Graphical applications cannot be run by root (well,
> they could be, if you start an X server as root- which is even more of a
> no no)- the X server belongs to your user. And rightly so. Learn a
> simple command line editor- if you ever really mess up your system that
> will be essential anyway.

Of course you can run stuff with sudo. Not always a sensible idea, but it can
be done. Not being a Gnome user myself, I sort of assumed gedit was like nano
or vi - i.e run from a command line, so perhaps that is why my comment seemed
odd. But for KDE users for example, running "kdesu konqueror" will bring up a
root konqueror window - I believe "gksu nautilus" does a similar trick in
Gnome.
Agreed, running as root is not always the best option, but it does have its
uses at times - especially on those files with root permissions.

> > Basically, most files other than those in your /home directory are owned
> > by "root". So, you need to have root priveliges to edit them - thats what
> > sudo does, it gives your username temporary root priveliges.
>
> Why does everyone always suggest sudo? If you've got 3 commands to run
> as root, you don't want to type the password every time. Use su. Now you
> have a root shell. Run the 3 commands, then type exit.
>
> Please rebuke me where necessary.
> Hope this is of some help.
> Simon

Because it is a quick way to temporarily get root. The Ubuntu systems don't
enable a root login by default, unlike many other distros, so sudo is the way
to do things. Running su - unless you have set up a root account - will
simply not work. You would get an authentication error.
This applies to the Ubuntu family only - other distros use su

Mark