Re: [LUG] Application crossover chart

Alex Charrett wrote:
> Hmm, the issue I have with this page is that it makes it look like all the
> innovative ideas ever are first done on Windows and then Linux copies
> them.  Many of the categories are the exact opposite!
>
> Alex.

I think that's just the column order :)  Since the idea is to convert
Windows users to Linux it makes sense to me if the column where they
will find familiar programs is first.

The flipside of course is that you said 'in many'[1] cases Linux was
first.  The problem then is that if the column order is changed someone
will say 'Windows did that one first so why is Linux listed first?'  For
complete accuracy there would need to be a combination, and that would
just look messy and be a nightmare to browse.

A better alternative I think would be to use combo boxes with the user
choosing the dropdown for their OS, selecting a program and clicking
'Go' then getting a response back telling them what program is
equivalent to the one they chose on the other systems.  No relational
link to imply which came first :)

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] but not all