Re: [LUG] Win98 to be retired - can we take advantage

Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 2007-04-13T15:43+0100 Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Just wondered if the Linux / OSS can take advantage of this
>> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5164450.stm
>>

> I though this one more interesting:

One word scuppers both plans.  Business.  Microsoft have to realise (as
in have no option) that thousands, if not millions of businesses world
wide use bespoke software written for them  for their original OS.  Many
of them still use Windows 98 for the simple reason that it does what
they want, and they see no reason to change all their hardware and
software and go through all the aggravation of a system upgrade just
because some company in America says so.  The same is true of Windows XP.

All that will happen is that anyone with a support contract with
Microsoft (and let's be honest who in their right mind would?) will
simply obtain the support elsewhere, and Microsoft will lose that
revenue.  Business will *not* put an untested bugridden OS on their
systems.  'They already HAVE!' I hear you cry .. 'Windows of any
flavour'.. true, but at least what they have currently works.

Linux I feel *can* grab this market but two things have to happen.

a)  Businesses have to be convinced of the support structure available
for their hardware *and* software.
b)  Anything bespoke needs to be tried and tested with WINE, or ported
across to Linux.

b) involves expense and it is up to the Linux community to prove to
businesses that the expense will be recouped within a reasonable time.

Personally I have to say I am an old-school tech - If it works, use it,
and only change it if/when it stops working.  The addendum to that in
this case is of course that if you prove it works better/faster/more
reliably in Linux you're likely to get more converts.  For example a
couple of years ago I converted a piece of video from AVI - MPEG in
Windows.  On the same machine I then performed the same conversion, on
the same file, using the same program, via WINE.  Under Linux, even
using WINE the conversion took a third less time.  Time is money - show
businesses how to save that much time and they will flock to the cause.
The same argument can be used to dissuade them from Windows upgrades.
Why 'upgrade' to an OS that will run slower and cost their company time
and therefore money?  Answer - don't!

Kind regards,

Julian