Re: [LUG] Upgrading Debian

Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 4/12/07, *Mark Brier (Lists)* <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Interesting. Just how is the dependency resolution superior? Surely
>     dependency information is contained in the individual package
>     information.
>

> Information on what packages something conflicts with, depends upon or
> replaces is found within the package. Figuring out what to do with
> hundreds of items of such data is dependency resolution.
> In the event of discrepancy, aptitude offers a number of solutions with
> various grades as opposed to a single one; it also has an auto-clean
> function whereby unused libraries are removed when their dependents are
> removed; changelog displaying, etc etc.
> It remains the official recommendation for an APT frontend.
>
> See http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-aptitude
>
>     I've been training people in Linux and been telling them that apt-get
>     install and aptitude install are identical.
>

> They probably are. It's dist-upgrade that's the thing...

Thanks for clearing that up.

Apt-get has apt-get clean and apt-get autoremove.

I believe "clean" removes deb packages from /var/cache/dpkg (or
whatever) and "autoremove" is the same as the auto-clean described above.

The dist-upgrade thing is useful tho. Thanks again

--
  .~.   Mark Brier - Open Source Tech Consultant
 / v \  mark AT openitup DOT org / lists AT openitup DOT org