[LUG] sound recording

Hello

I have been asked to record some cello playing and would like to try it
at home first. The people who want it are long time Linux users in
Cardiff (the husband works in the Uni Computing Unit). They tell me:

"Røde microphones, podcaster N3594 (though in one place it also says
N12B2).

and

"We would like to get it working with Audacity on Suse 10.1. We've had
some good results with Audacity on Dynebolic 2.4.1 (a live linux CD
designed for audio and video work) and we're copying the settings from
that to Suse to see if that helps.  If anyone has a 'recipe' for using a
USB microphone with Linux that would be a great help!"

Can you add anything please?

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk