Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

Hi Neil et al

On 27/03/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The majority of DCGLUG have no problem recommending Ubuntu to newbies.
> It's a very usable distribution and you don't have to use the
> proprietary code if you don't need to. Go ahead with Ubuntu, get used to
> it, start to understand how it works. You can always choose to migrate
> to a different distribution in due course (I can't help but offer
> Debian there but that's just because I'm biased). Personally, I have
> long recommended Ubuntu to anyone with an aversion to XP/Vista and will
> continue to do so. I'm working now on a replacement for WinCE on
> embedded devices so that we can take Debian around in our hands.

I have a XDA II (O2) that I would love to shoehorn Debian onto. Is
that possible yet please? I have gone to various forums and it seems
that it is on the way. Just thought you might know more.

The other thing I wanted to say in respect of this debate is about
passion. Somebody managed to refer to religion and extremism during
this debate. I am a Christian and for me it is a passion, which is why
I talk about it. I don't try to dump, it is just part of my life.
Other things I am passionate about - Morris Minors, Macs and of course
my family!

Why do I mention this? Because when change is needed, passionate
people are often the catalyst for that change. They are not afraid to
be a lone reed - to speak when others might hold back. Now, I agree
with a lot of what has been said, but I don't tend to think of one
party being right and the other being wrong, I would say you're at
different stages of the discussions and maybe just don't have the same
passion.

I applaud Matt's passion and I actively encourage it. We need it
because with passion like that things will change. I don't personally
believe that he will chase folks away. They might have questions but
great, let's generate the discussion.

Ok, now let's move on to sex, politics and religion! By the way, I
still think KDE is far better than Gnome....!
--
Rich
http://www.cregy.co.uk