Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On 3/25/07, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 3/25/07, *Matt Lee* <mattl@xxxxxxx <mailto:mattl@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Do you think people should have the freedom to sell themselves into
>     slavery?
>

> What right have you to stop them?

You didn't answer the question. The whole 'freedom to install
proprietary software' argument, isn't about freedom at all, it's simply
the reverse of the free software argument.

Ok, then. Yes, I do think people should be permitted to sell themselves into slavery.
Why should they not be allowed to do so?
Should we perhaps copy Israel and introduce armed guards to shoot people to prevent them from committing suicide, too? Remember that suicide is listed as a deadly sin in many religious tomes, and certainly is not good for a person's freedom (they end up constrained to a single location for hundreds of years.)

> Because supporting free software does not exclude support of allowing
> users painless access to proprietary software.

Why not? If you believe in free software, why would you support non-free
software?

I don't support the idea of non-free software. I just like to use non-free software in places.

> After all, if these
> people didn't have the shiny GUI they'd probably try and install it
> manually and then they'd complain about Ubuntu denying them access to
> software they want to use.

Maybe they would. The correct response in that circumstance would be
something like "Opera is software that restricts your freedom, and as a
project that supports your rights as a computer user to use free
software, we are unable to help you install this."

Why? "we" are perfectly able to help install it. It's not like it doesn't work or anything...

Let me ask you, what is your reason for using GNU/Linux? Why do you
support free software?

I use GNU/Linux because it is a superior operating system (mainly.)
I support open-source software because it is a superior development practise.
I support free software because people should have the freedom to do what they like, including voluntarily limiting their own freedom of use of a program.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382