[LUG] Digital signed documents in Open Office

Came up in the meeting briefly:

-   Get a digital ID (see http://www.gateway.gov.uk/). There appear to
    be two government approved sources of digital certificates:
    http://www.simplysign.co.uk
    http://www.equifaxsecure.co.uk/ebusinessid/

-   Install into Firefox

Then if you do not have Thunderbird as your email client then to
digitally sign an openoffice document (this seems to be a bug in Open Office):

-   Enter the following command at the command prompt
    export MOZILLA_CERTIFICATE_FOLDER=~$/.mozilla/firefox/XXXXXXXX.default

     Where XXXXXXX is the directory of your firefox directory

     (I have this command in my $~.bashrc file)

-   Restart Xwindows

-   Then open a saved Open Office document and under the file command,
    go to digital signatures, add digital signature and your certificate
    will appear in the directory. Hey presto your Open Office document
    is digitally signed

(If you do have Thunderbird then you should be able to digitally sign
documents immediately)

--
Henry
Sat Mar 17 17:45:49 GMT 2007