Re: [LUG] Transfering hard drives to a new machine.

Darren Foster wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

> Got a Fedora Core 6 system that the motherboard and processor have
> both gone capput! Just wondered what the chances are of me taking the
> hard drive out and sticking it in a new machine and it working like a
> dream were?

That depends on the machine hardware.  I know from doing a similar job
with Winblows that if you keep to the same chipset on the motherboard
(Intel or AMD) the chances are not too bad.. Winblows has a cow if you
put a HD into a machine with a different motherboard chipset as the
drivers for the onboard kit are all over the place.  (Actually it bombs
and you have to reinstall the lot :( )  Not sure how Linux copes with
the same situation, although the word 'better' seems to be jumping up
and down for attention.  Inevitably you're going to have some issues
such as graphics card etc, but assuming the motherboard drivers are OK I
*think* you should at least get enough functionality to be able to fix
any components that are still misbehaving.

However, not having done it in Linux, perhaps someone with actual
experience would like to comment :)

Kind regards,

Julian