Re: [LUG] Linux-friendly web cams

David Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2007 19:30, Michael Mortimore wrote:
>> Anybody have a recommendation for a linux-friendly webcam? Google told
>> me to avoid philips since the support has stopped. I didn't find much
>> in the way of success stories.
>>

> I have a Logitech Quickcam Messenger - the driver is included in Debian, so is
> probably in Ubuntu too.

I second that. I've got the same one and works very well in Arch. Most
logitech's do have drivers, but watch out for the few that don't.

Mine also has a microphone in it- I haven't ever bothered to play around
with it- but I installed Debian the other day and that said it knew
about it.

As regards programs- I have had problems all along with this - mainly
because I'm stuck behind a firewall I have no control over (at uni).

The camera works perfectly- the problem is getting the connection across
the net. I've managed to get amsn working (it uses a 3rd party server to
get around the port issue, but that makes it quite slow), but for some
reason it works with some people but not others. Wierd.

Hope this is helpful.
Simon