Re: [LUG] compiz

paul sutton wrote:
> Keith Abraham wrote:
>

>> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am trying to get compiz working,  I have added some lines to my
>>> xorg.conf file from a website (directed to do this from the chat
>>> channel) anyway I am getting the following errors if I grep the log file
>>> for EE
>>>
>>> root@duron1600:/home/psutton# grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>> Current Operating System: Linux duron1600 2.6.15.6-kanotix-1 #1 PREEMPT
>>> Fri Mar 10 15:32:51 CET 2006 i686
>>>        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
>>> (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
>>> (EE) Failed to load module "GLCcore" (module does not exist, 0)
>>> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
>>> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
>>> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX
>>> module.  If
>>> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
>>> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
>>> (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
>>> (EE) Error loading keymap /var/lib/x
>>>
>>> just wondered whats wrong here,  I will keep looking but thought I will
>>> ask here, at the same time,  I think I am using the
>>> debin compiz- AIGLX HOW TO, in which case I have made the alterations to
>>> suit (backed up xorg.conf first
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Browse the Sidux forum (fork of Kanotix). There is a Beryl (Compiz)
>> howto there.
>>
>> http://sidux.com/module-PNphpBB2.html
>>
>> One thing I do know is that the NVidia driver version is important.
>> 9631 if I remember correctly.
>>
>> Keith
>>

>> Typo is no longer relevant I restoored the xorg config file from the back up i
>> made it still won't work
>>

> i am struggling to commant out the references to bitmap (found) and
> pcidata (can't find),  in an attempt toget the gui back working again
>
> paul

Try disabling the Nvidia 3D driver using an editor such as nano.
ie.
open /etc/X11/xorg.conf
goto the Device section
change nvidia to nv
save
If you're using kde then run /etc/init.d/kdm restart and hopefully you'll
get a desktop. If not then try:-

/etc/init.d/kdm stop
apt-get --purge remove kdm
apt-get install kdm
/etc/init.d/kdm restart

Once you've got a desktop you can attempt to sort out the 3D driver problem.

Many of the files at www.kanotix.org/files are out of date and Kano doesn't
recommend you use them.

I changed my Kanotix installation to Sidux because most of the knowledgeable
people have moved to Sidux and in consequence postings to the Kanotix forums
has become sparse. You should be able to get all the help you need at Sidux.

The Compiz stuff is still alpha for Debian based distros so expect this sort
problem to crop up fairly frequently until it becomes mainstream.

Keith