Re: [LUG] Respoinse to my cry for help

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 12:35:42AM -0000, Peter M Le Mare wrote:
> Thanks for all that. Very helpful.
> But why should I not use html for e-mailing; you did not explain. However I
> have found it under tools - options - and changed it there: it is also under
> format and if I change it there to rich text (html) I get the ability to
> make bold, italic, size etc and not use this awful default Times Roman
> (sorry I don't like serif fonts especially that one) but if it makes it a
> problem for others then I will a have to put up with it. It would be good
> to know what is the difference I have never understood it, nor really why.
> Also can you tell me why I get your and some others e-mails as an attachment
> *.txt along with an unreadable other attachment called signature.asc

HTML email

    Long list of reasons, please see

    -   Please see http://www.dclug.org.uk/wiki/?id=email+etiquette
    or
    -   http://tinyurl.com/3aj9rc (ie google under email html problems)

asc and txt attachments

    In short this is because some users electronically "sign" their
    emails in the same way that you add a signature to a letter before
    you send it

    The problem is that outlook express does not manage this electronic
    signature. Thunderbird, Mozilla and probably all other electronic
    email programs do.

    If you use any other email program (including Microsoft Outlook)
    you will just get a normal email.

    To learn more about electronic signatures look at
    http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_adm/gnupg.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2gqoko
    http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST04-018.html

--