Re: [LUG] Keyspan adapters - non-free licence

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:30:53 +0000
Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a Keyspan USB to serial adapter that I use with my Lappy.

I would investigate an alternative serial connector.

> I am about
> to install Debian on it,

I assume you mean that you are installing Debian onto the laptop via
some form of CD drive or network install, not trying to install Debian
across a serial connection? i.e. you are only concerned about whether
the serial connector will still work AFTER Debian has been installed by
other means, not whether the Debian installer will work with the
USB->serial adaptor?

http://www.keyspan.com/downloads-files/developer/linux/

If you are using a kernel v2.6, Keyspan firmware and drivers are in the
2.6.x. Please note that you may need to recompile your kernel if you
did not install the Keyspan drivers when you first installed Linux.

Note:
Linux 2.6 includes full support for Keyspan USB Serial Adapters. In
most installs, our drivers (and where needed, firmware) are installed.
For most Linux distros (ie Redhat FC6), Keyspan support is enabled by
default and your Keyspan USB Serial Adapter will work without you doing
anything.

However, certain Linux distros (primarily Ubuntu and Debian) choose to
not include a complete install of our drivers and firmware due to
philosophical issues with our license text. Although the majority of
the Linux community is fine with our license, Ubuntu and Debian require
you to install the Keyspan drivers manually. This usually involves
downloading the latest Linux kernel for kernel.org and patching or
recompiling your kernel to include the complete Keyspan installation.
Keyspan does not have instructions for this process at this time. We
recommend that you use other distros (such as Redhat). In the future,
Keyspan may create documentation to help you in updating Ubuntu and
Debian however this documentation is not available at this time.

> but I understand that Debian does not support
> Keyspan stuff.

No, Debian considers Keyspan's licence as non-free because it the
firmware is unmodifiable and can only be used with keyspan hardware.
The answer is not, as Keyspan think, to choose a different distro, it
is for Keyspan to make their drivers AND documentation into free
software. Right now, it's "touch this and you die" software. The kernel
team CANNOT support you if you use this driver because they are unable
to fix bugs in the driver.

Keyspan are also mistaken in thinking that other distributions are
happy with the issues - non-free firmware is an increasingly important
issue for all distributions and RH and SuSE are both concerned with how
it can be removed. Currently, only Debian has taken a firm line on the
issue and even then it is a compromise as far as Etch is concerned.

Non-free firmware like that 'provided' by Keyspan is likely be
removed from all distributions eventually.

Isn't there some other way of enabling serial connections?

BTW: USB->serial can be done WITHOUT non-free drivers, embedded devices
commonly include serial and USB via the same connector. Such connectors
still work with a 100% free software OS at both ends.

--

Neil Williams