Re: [LUG] VOIP without the hassle?

Tom Potts wrote:

> Skypes starting to mess about more:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/skype_connection_charge/

Since this is calls out of their network, the charges are presumably in
part to meet costs of connecting to third party networks. I don't think
one can call that messing around, unless you are privvy to how they are
being treated by the big telecoms companies.

The last time I tried Skype it looked like the network had split, or
other connectivity issues within their peer to peer network, meant that
presence information was not properly shared.

> VOIP should be easy PC-PC if you know the other ends IP address - firefox has
> an addin that will tell you your external IP so you should be able to mail or
> message that to whomever you want to talk to and strike up a VOIP (sans SIP
> but that should be OK)
> Has anyone had experience of this?

Why do that, why not use one of the free VOIP providers to give you
presence information. ekiga.net is pretty easy to set up with.

> Can you do a simple install of Asterix and do this?

"Simple" and "install of Asterix" don't sit well in the same sentence.

The simplest I've found with free software is still Ekiga (formerly
GNOME Meeting). They have ironed out most of the connectivity/firewall
issues.

Ekiga has issues with ALSA (especially software mixing). They blame
ALSA, and by fiddling with .asoundrc I can fix the worst of the issues.
Skype doesn't have these issues with ALSA however, so I suspect a
knowledge gap somewhere. Some of these are due to having a rubbish sound
card that doesn't do mixing in hardware, but hey it is a Pentium 2.8 GHz
processor, how difficult can mixing of a 28kbps channel be?!

Even with the rough edges Ekiga doesn't match on features without
Asterisk or similar, as conference calling is missing.

I tried persuading everyone here to try VOIP last year with mixed
results. But we can try again... we might learn more about Linux audio!

 Simon