Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:45:02 +0000
"Ben Goodger" <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IPv6 is fine providing your router and ISP are not crap - I had problems
> only while with AOL.

Oh well, I must have a crap router. It was only when writing to a web
site that I had problems, not when browsing.

> I had to add extra repositories before I could see a complete list of
> > available files.
>

> This is because the extra repositories contain unsupported and proprietary
> software.

Yes, I have heard that. I still feel that it would be a good idea to
have all repositories available right from the start or at least make
it easier the add the extra ones.

> I had a floppy drive in my new computer (I know, but it was there) and
> > it took a while and quite a lot of help from the group to get it
> > working.
>

> KDE again, I suspect.

No, actually it was a known error in /etc/fstab.

> Adding new files using Adept seemed fine, but I had to learn to deal
> > with packages that needed me to answer some questions along the way. At
> > first I thought it had died on me.
>

> Synaptic will expand the terminal automatically in the event of user input
> being needed by debconf. Perhaps this is a  hideously obvious bug in Adept
> and should be reported?

Not really a bug. Click on Show Details and you can input any answers
as required. It is just knowing this. It is not obvious.

My printer was found OK, but I couldn't get any utilities to work with
> > it (eg checking ink quantity) at first. Eventually I installed escputil
> > and all is now well.
>

> Things don't work until you install them, well observed. Or have I
> misunderstood?

Possibly. There were some utils already set up in System Settings >
printers > printer tools. These did not work so I searched around and>
found escputil which does work for me.

> There were no icons on the desktop at all. OK, some people like to work
> > that way. I suggest that those new to Linux will want and expect  to
> > find some icons already there. I have added a few for myself (26 in
> > fact). They were fairly easy to set up except for Home. I had to be
> > pointed in the right place for that one.
>

> Ubuntu's policy is to not clutter the desktop. Admittedly, it's rather
> obvious where to look for things that would be on the desktop in Windows in
> regular Ubuntu (one clicks "places"), so again this could be considered a
> bug in KDE.
>
> I like using a terminal screen. I had to add the necessary icon in
> > Konqueror so that I can call it up from any folder. And yes, I do often
> > use alt-F2.
>

> KDE again... dear me, it's really bad this release.
>
> I couldn't get any sounds at first. Luckily I knew about Kmix. I found
> > that everything was switched off. Seems strange. Anyway, I got it
> > sorted out but a newcomer to Linux is going to be baffled I suggest.
>

> No idea about that one, but I am not sure why ALSA would be disabled by
> default.
>

> > As I said just some first thoughts. I have a friend who is showing some
> > interest. He will need quite a lot of help and hand-holding I think.
> >

> Any comments anyone?
>

> Yes: make sure he avoids KDE.

What, and use Gnome?? Never, never, never!!!!