Re: [LUG] Forcibly unmount network filesystems

Simon Williams wrote:

> This comes second on my list of major Linux usability problems- why oh
> why oh why can't I tell it to just disconnect a network filesystem
> without trying to contact the server about it?

man umount

Try "-f", certainly works for NFS.

I assume they want to tell the server to resolve any state related
issues. Although most distros seem to just get on with this sort of
stuff via the GUI these days using automount, permanent mounts are so
1980's ;)