Re: [LUG] Lunched harddrive

William Fidell wrote:
> Ok so someone I work with has managed to kill a harddrive, not spinning
> up properly and now completely inaccessible.  Its a IBM deathstar (i know).
>
> Anyhoo, anyone have ideas about recovering the data? Cheaply!
>
> Wills

What model is it?

There was a trick I did with a Deathstar to get it spinning.  I had the
drive powered up (without data cable) and held the drive in my hand
(with my fingers and thumb around the drive so it was flat and my palm
was touching the top of the drive.  I then did a quick twist of my hand
a couple of times.  This released the mechinism and got the thing to
spin up.  I can't say it works every time but it might be worth a try.

Someone else once suggested putting the drive in the freezer for an hour
although I haven't personally got it to work.

Is the drive detected at all?

Must be the season for hard drives failing.  I've just installed a brand
new Seagate 250GB drive into a PC for someone and it has failed. It's
less than a week old!!!

Rob

Rob