Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and freedom?

On Thursday 07 December 2006 00:46, Neil Williams wrote:

> Thereby lies the road to oblivion. Ben, you really ought to think
> through what happens if there is no free alternative and proprietary is
> all we have.
>
> By using non-free wireless networking drivers, you force those who
> cannot access the non-free drivers to go without wireless. Say they
> have the hardware pre-installed and they want to upgrade the OS - who
> provides access to the updated non-free drivers? Isn't it obvious that
> this provider has the user over a barrel? They can't upgrade the OS to
> fix X security issue because they don't have the right access. It's
> WRONG.
>
> My brother had a trivial example - his Lexmark printer worked fine with
> Win98SE but when he had to upgrade to WinXP to fix problems with the
> installation, WinXP refused to accept the printer because it was too
> old for Lexmark to consider "certifying" it with XP. He could afford to
> buy a new printer so that's what he did - my point is that it is WRONG
> for any provider to force a user into such a situation. What happens to
> another user who cannot afford or obtain a new printer? The printer
> driver should have been free software so that someone else could have
> tweaked the driver to work with the upgraded OS. It's about sharing.

I picked the above from Neils mail to illustrate what I consider to be the
problem with the FSF type viewpoint.
By using non-free software for a wireless driver, the user can at least get
their wireless connection working in the first place. If they were limited to
relying on free software only, there is a chance that they would be simply
unable to use their connection - full stop. Yes, I would agree that it may be
better - in an ideal world - to have a totally free system, but currently
that is not always a choice for many users (the vast majority I suspect).

Likewise the printer issue. No idea if the Lexmark is supported under Linux,
but if it was supported only by a non-free driver supplied by Lexmark, then
should the user be forced to dispose of the printer and buy a "GNU/Linux
compatible" one? Because, lets face it, not many manufacturers even bother to
inform us if their hardware is compatible with any other system than Windows.

I am of a similar view to Ben - I want to be able to use my PC for a wide
range of purposes. If that means I have to use non-free software to do
so,then I do. Whilst I would love to see free software written to support my
graphics card 3d acceleration or what have you, I need to use the system in
the meantime. Once a viable free alternative is available, I shall use it -
but I have no intention of crippling the functionality I require from my PC
for the sake of "politics".

Of course, each user of a system will have their own needs and views to which
they are entitled.

Mark