Re: [LUG] Japanese input

Simon Williams wrote:
> Does anyone know of a simple way of getting Japanese input to work in X?
> I've tried various X plugins such as kinput2, kanna, scim, skim and
> anthy, but it seems that they are all somewhat complicated. I really
> don't need to input japanese into a terminal, so it just needs to work
> with X apps, all of which I know can work with japanese fonts.

>>From what I recall (I did a fair bit of work on unix systems for the
Japanese market from the late 80s to mid 90s), it's always complicated
and kinput2 with Canna or Wnn was probably as simple as it got.  IIRC
the process was something along the lines of entering letters in kinput2
as Romaji which converted them on the fly to Hiragana or Katakana and
subsequently to Kanji, though there's usually a choice of Kanji
characters because some sound the same as each other.  Unless you can
come by a keyboard that can be switched between Romaji and Kana (I never
saw method of entering Kanji directly), you're probably stuck with this.

James